Marketing has considerably changed over the years. With time, people have started realizing the potential of social media. It has compelled organizations to incorporate the aspects of social media marketing in the overall mixture of the marketing mix. It was closely observed that social media marketing was mostly grasped by the companies that were B2C. Most of the B2B companies are severely sceptical about the advantages that social media places on the companies. As the B2C companies were the ones to adopt this marketing within a short span of time so it clearly puts forth the difference between the B2B and B2C marketing.
Let us have a look at some of the distinctions between social media marketing of B2B and B2C companies:
Content – Content is no longer limited only to words, it has been oriented to visual, audio and interactive content these days. The messaging within the social post is now treated to be content. Content is solely the provider of value to the reader. While B2C marketers come up with creative contests, GIFs, videos and more interactive content, the B2B marketers, on the other hand, focus mainly on the professional type of content. B2B marketers mainly make use of certain types of content which can be explained in the following manner:
- White papers or eBooks- whitepapers were observed to serve a plethora of advantageous purposes for all the B2B marketers. It can be stated that whitepaper is one of the greatest tools of the lead generation which is a great goal or objective for the B2B marketers. In the course of providing information to the reader, people are more willing to access the details.
- Case studies- These are also an effective tool for a lead generation which proves to the target that the product is a suitable choice for them.
Channel – With the proliferation of the social channels, people are observing the niche of the social network that focuses on the forms of communication. Some of the effective channels for B2C are:
- Facebook- it is a standard and the first social channel which turned out to be the most effective. It is an excellent tool for engagement, promotion and customer support.
- Instagram- with this channel, visual content becomes an incredibly effective tool for the B2C marketers. Selfies are a good choice.
- Youtube- Creation of fun and interesting videos makes the B2B marketers grab the attention of the viewers. The polished videos give more personality to the company.
- Twitter- Having a Twitter account is really handy for real time updates and with the use of hashtags, companies become a part of the trending conversations in various out of the box ideas.
There are mainly 3 social networks which can be focused by the marketers that are LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter. These channels are leveraged not only for the purpose of engagement but also for the distribution of content.
The dichotomy clearly states the differences between the social media marketing of B2C as against B2B. it can be stated that both B2B and B2C marketers are utilizing the benefits of social media marketing at its best.